This blog serves as an inspirational and entertaining progress report on my seemingly never-ending journey to 200 pounds.

Friday, January 25, 2008

Week 7 - Getting Flexible, and Increased Frustration

Flexibility is a cornerstone of fitness, and something I'm definitely lacking in. I had tried the most intense "hot yoga" a few years back and it was a fairly horrible experience, though providing me with an understanding of what happens when emotion precedes logic . I was still tipping the scales at around 280+, and wasn't exactly in tip-top condition. I walked into class, at the time still gradually re-introducing myself to the world of physical activity, and easily outweighing the next heaviest participant by a few sacks of potatoes. The instructor was very patient and welcoming, and put my mind at ease. Little did I know what I was getting into. As I entered the classroom, the heat blasted me directly in my face, briefly stifling my breath. I don't think an adjective exists to accurately describe the next 45 minutes of torment. I had never before been exposed to such extreme conditions of heat, combined with the expectation to hold my body in awkward and nearly unbearable positions. Before the class was even halfway complete, I had to excuse myself. Drenched in sweat, I managed to crawl to the washroom just in time to "un-eat" my previous meal and a litre of water. That sort of experience would normally be enough for anyone else to admit defeat, but being the glutton for punishment that I was, I returned for another attempt the following week. Not surprisingly I was met with the same result. Over the course of the next few months I tried 3 more times to complete a full class, thinking the benefits would be worth the agony. I completed only one out of the five I attended, after which the instructor pulled me aside. As I laid on the cool floor outside of the oven they masqueraded as a yoga studio, she put her integrity and my health before all else. She admired my perseverance, but recommended that I try a less intense activity until I was in better physical condition. All I could do was grunt and moan in agreement, and admit that I was submitting myself to the "too much, too soon" mentality once again. Now that I'm a few years wiser and a few pounds lighter, I still won't be returning to the "hot yoga" studio for a while, but I know that I have to get more flexible. I joined a nearby yoga class and had my first lesson this past week. In a room where I still outweighed the next largest individual by the margin of a medium-sized kitchen appliance, I was confident that I would be able to least make it through to the end. My flexibility is sub-par at best, so I obviously struggled with the majority of the exercises and poses, but I left feeling optimistic about my future visits, and rejuvenated about my health.

With an increasing amount of daily exercise, combined with my extraordinarily healthy diet, I assumed that would calculate into significant weight loss. Especially in the beginning stages of intensifying my workouts, I figured a 4-5 pound loss in a week wouldn't be out of the question. Not that I would expect to continue that sort of pace for longer than the first week or two, but the initial push should still be there, "water weight" as it's sometimes called. I have yet to see that sort of loss, in fact, this week my weight had actually increased. Some may argue that I'm "building muscle, which weighs more than fat". While true in theory, in my case I believe the fat to muscle ratio is still too great to have an effect on my overall weight. It should start to balance out around the 220-210 stage. So when I stepped on the scale after a week of hard cardio and healthy eating, I saw a higher number than I did 7 days prior. There are so many factors involved when tracking weight loss on a weekly basis, that a 1-2 pound swing in a 24 hour span is possible, almost predictable. But to consistently not lose weight over the course of an entire week has been quite disheartening. I would have much less of a problem with this if I was in "the last 10 pounds" stage or even nearing my goal weight. But I'm still 40+ pounds overweight at the moment, and feel as though the effort I put forth should yield a much more satisfying reward. All I can do is perhaps increase the intensity of my workouts, and if I go through another week of little to no change, I may have to alter my routines more dramatically. Not fully deflated or derailed, but certainly discouraged.

Mental preparation and stability has allowed me to handle adversity such as this. Ordinarily I'd have turned my attitude to "why bother", hit the couch with my favourite snack, and worried about the consequences further down the road. I know that's not an option, and instant gratification cannot be expected. I have no choice but to simply shrug it off, and keep at it as determined as ever. It's time to turn up the heat...not literally, of course.

Digg this

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really feel for you. I'm down about 40 pounds, but still a good 30 pounds from even the high end of my "healthy weight." For the last month I've lost nothing, and I just don't have the time in my schedule to step it up at the gym right now. I'm lucky to make it three times a week. I can't imagine doing more right now, and I certainly can't imagine eating less.

Good luck, and if you find something that works (up to and including cutting off an appendage), be sure to let us know. At this point I'm willing to try almost anything.