This blog serves as an inspirational and entertaining progress report on my seemingly never-ending journey to 200 pounds.

Friday, February 1, 2008

Week 8 - One Contest Nears An End, and Another Approaches The Halfway Point

I seem to be more enthusiastic towards physical activity when being pushed from an outside source. Having registered for a running event (which is now only 12 weeks away) has increased my motivation to lace up the shoes and get training on a more regular basis. Team sports rarely even feels like exercise, and is very beneficial. But I felt I needed something more, perhaps getting my family and friends more involved. A friendly competition, perhaps?

The first contest was between a friend and myself, a 9-week event with simple parameters. Whoever lost the highest percentage of body weight in the 9-week span, would win a prize donated by the other person. We had decided to keep our weights secretive until the final weigh-in, but because we visit so often, the conversations would always drift to the topic of weight-loss. What we were eating, the amount of exercise we'd be getting, and inevitably how much weight we were down. I found myself growing increasingly frustrated with how far behind I was falling as each week passed, and it wasn't from a lack of effort. We both struggled through the holidays, regained our composure shortly thereafter, and had been progressing very well. I was focusing more on the short term goals than on the actual reason we were doing this in the first place. It was to be a jump start to a healthier, fitter lifestyle. Yet, the feeling of constantly being competitive was causing me to question my abilities. I wondered how I could go week after week of consistently eating well and training hard without a significant loss to show for it. It was becoming more of a burden than an inspiration, because of my own fear of failure. I've since managed to put it in a much more realistic perspective. At the outset, it was agreed that if all went as planned we would both emerge victorious (in a cliché-type of way). We'd be living a healthier lifestyle and reaping the benefits that came along with it. I had to remind myself that we started this contest to motivate each other, not to just "achieve victory".

Word quickly spread of our little competition and I had a few other friends inquiring about participating. It appears that I'm not the only one that felt they would benefit from a friendly rivalry. I gathered the names of all that were interested and sent out the rules for their approval. 10 contestants, 10 weeks, highest percentage of weight loss wins. Everyone contributed a small prize to be combined in a "winner-take-all" format. I was ill-prepared for the onslaught of updates and weight-loss conversations I was subjected to over the first few weeks. We are just now approaching the halfway point of this contest, and the majority of my thoughts had been focused on keeping pace with the rest of the pack. This is an impossible task, since there are so many personalities and body types involved, we aren't all going to lose weight at the same pace. Some will have that initial push at the beginning and taper off, and some have developed a methodical and steady pace. (I represent the latter.) Whereas some people have really taken the event to heart and are striving to win the grand prize 6 weeks from now, I've had to distance myself from the direct competition and continue to focus on my own training. There's no sense in comparing my raw weight-loss and fitness levels with the others. Not that I don't want to win, but I'm more excited with the prospect of my friends improving their health and achieving their own goals along with me.

I had a great sense of relief when I stopped comparing my progress to the others. It has been great to just admire what each individual has already accomplished, and compliment them on the physical changes that are occurring almost daily. Waistlines are shrinking, faces are slimming, and I remain supportive of everyone's successes, staying focused on the REAL prizes that await us. Fitting into those old "skinny" jeans you've been hanging on to for years, that bathing suit you never thought you'd wear again, or pulling on your favourite sweater or shirt without fear of stretching it beyond recognition. You just can't put a price on good health.

Digg this

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been reading this blog for a while now, and I have to say, you are so well written!

Thanks for posting your stories.

I think it is a great idea to have a friendly competition. I think getting your friends and family involved in your fitness goals is a great way to stay motivated, and keep only positive influences around you.

Keep up the great work!