This blog serves as an inspirational and entertaining progress report on my seemingly never-ending journey to 200 pounds.

Thursday, November 15, 2007

Day 62-68 - A Helpful Visit, The Wonders Of Soup, and A Plan For The Weekends

I paid a visit to my Naturopath, and it was fantastic. We talked about what I needed to do to continue on a path of success, and some physical goals that I could set for myself. I wasn't sure if I'd be ready for a full marathon this coming summer, but he seemed confident that I could work my way up to it. There's a half marathon in April, then the big event in June where I would likely run the half again. Then, if I was feeling up to it, I could attempt an Autumn marathon. The weather would be more appropriate for a first-timer, and I'd have a good grasp on my abilities after the two halves. It was an excellent gameplan, in theory, but the reality of it is that I haven't been on the treadmill or out pounding the pavement in almost two weeks. Having short term events or goals will help me get motivated to get active, but it seems that it's extremely difficult to start again once stopped. I can formulate any excuse to get out of a workout, even though I know how beneficial they are, and how great I feel afterwards. I'm still playing hockey once a week, and performing better with each passing game, but it's the time in between games where I have to keep pushing myself to improve. I've scheduled another appointment in three weeks, and my short term goal is to see the end of the 240's by then. Completely attainable and realistic, but it will require some effort on my part. I think after the next game, I'll be in the right mindset to get those running shoes back on, and put forth the consistent effort I know I'm capable of. It's amazing how quickly I've forgotten the positive boost I get from a workout. Time for a reminder. Especially if I'm going to be doing the 1/2 marathon in April.

Soup isn't really a food I've visited too often. My Mom used to brew up some classic chicken noodle when I was feeling a little under the weather, but other than that, I haven't been exposed to the world of soups. Given the option of soup or salad to accompany a meal over the years, I've always taken salad. But my eyes have been opened to the culinary delights of a simple soup. I've been getting the low-sodium, ready-to-serve, canned soups, usually jammed with veggies, but I think it's high time to get adventurous and construct my own. I don't mind cooking at all, and soup seems as though it would be a lot less labour-intensive than my now famous egg-bake. A precision crafted bowl of homemade soup can be just as hearty and filling as any meal, with much less calories. So, I've given myself some homework for the upcoming week, and it's time to raid the produce section. I still get really excited about food and eating, but it's what I choose to take in that's making the difference. I can slam back a huge bowl of soup, be completely satisfied, and not feel guilty about it at all.

Since I began to keep track of my food intake and (lack of) exercise, I've noticed that the weekends are easily the toughest part of my schedule. It was likely the genesis of skipping a workout here and there, leading to this past stretch of inactivity. It's also still very difficult to regulate my intake without having those five scheduled break times found throughout the work week. To my surprise, overeating hasn't been a real issue, it's been getting enough vitamin-rich foods frequently through the day. I will go from 5 small meals on the weekdays to 2 larger meals on the weekends, and I'm thinking I should "pack a lunch" on the weekends as well. Prepare my food for the next day, just as I do during the work week. If I head out of the house for an errand, I can then grab a small bag of pre-cut peppers or carrots for the afternoon. It seems to be an ever-evolving process, constantly tweaking and adjusting my daily routine to fit.

Another week behind me, and that number keeps heading in the right direction. And though I've been relatively inactive for a little while, I'm going to have to flat out force myself to get active again. I find that the hardest part about getting going, is getting going. I could have my shoes fully tied and still not want to do it, but as soon as I make that first step, I'm fully committed to the end. It's just that first step I have to concern myself with, the rest will simply take care of itself.

Digg this

No comments: