This blog serves as an inspirational and entertaining progress report on my seemingly never-ending journey to 200 pounds.

Friday, May 2, 2008

Week 21 - Weight Gain and Funk Busting

My latest weigh-in was a bit of a catastrophic event. I hadn't stepped on the scale for at least two weeks, and I wasn't looking forward to my latest "mass assessment". As I stood before that evil little measuring device, I reflected over the past month, and all that I had done to earn the number I was about to receive. It all started with my birthday weekend. I had just fractured my rib and been forced to take it easy. No training allowed. Add to that the excesses that go along with a milestone birthday celebration, and you've got a belt-busting recipe. The problem is that after the dust had settled from the 4 day party, I was unable to hit the road to work off all those calories I'd taken in. Over the coming weeks, my sedentary lifestyle became more normal and comfortable as my rib healed. By the time I was ready to resume my training, I had fallen back into many of my old habits. It felt good to sit around rather than get up and be active, or so I thought. My brain and body were craving all the things that they shouldn't have been. I couldn't be bothered to lace up the running shoes as I continued to concoct infinite excuses and reasons to put off my training for yet another day. I attempted a few outings, but found myself yearning for the couch and a blanket. The pleasure that I used to derive from running or riding my bike had withered away into obscurity, and was replaced by the faux enjoyment of being a full-fledged couch potato. I found myself spinning into depression from being so inactive, which would cause me to be even less motivated to get up and do something about it. A vicious cycle indeed, and one that I still haven't fully escaped from.

Still standing before the scale, I eased myself onto it's cold, metallic surface. Leaning gingerly on the sink for support, I slowly began transferring the balance from my left hand to my feet, and watched the digits climb. Rocketing by the previous benchmarks I had set for myself, 225...230...235...240...my heart sank as the number settled on 242.6 pounds. I was seriously considering not posting my current weight, but the title does read "Weight Loss And My Struggles With It". I have earned every gram of weight that has returned, and there's no mystery as to why it is back. Positive or negative, I must be held accountable.

I ended up donating my spot in the run to a friend of mine that really did amazingly well. His effort was inspirational, and I hope it can kick me into gear to get fully prepared for the next 1/2 marathon. I've got 6 weeks to get myself back on track, and I'm fully confident that it will happen. If I can stay healthy and injury-free, I'll be lining up alongside him at the starting line on June 15th. I've created a training schedule for the coming weeks, and I've narrowed it down to daily goals, no procrastination allowed. Today's goals shouldn't be achieved tomorrow. I'm feeling more motivated now that I've put my thoughts into words, and am looking to snap out of this funk with the rejuvenated attitude and vigor that I had when this all began. It seems so simple, but it can also be the most daunting. Just lace them up and take that first step. From there, anything is possible.

Digg this

No comments: