This blog serves as an inspirational and entertaining progress report on my seemingly never-ending journey to 200 pounds.

Friday, May 30, 2008

Week 25 - Two Weeks To Go...

As the title states, I've got just over two weeks left until the half marathon. I've been adhering to my schedule very closely, only having to defer one or two days, but not missing one yet.

My left knee had begun to develop a slight ache or twinge, but an extra day of rest seemed to put every thing back in order. I'm going invest in a new pair of shoes this weekend to see if that will help ease some of the other little pains I've been dealing with. Both of my current pairs of shoes have seen many more steps than they likely should have, so I think it's time to make the commitment and treat my feet.

At the tail end of my last long run, I caught a glimpse of myself in the reflection of a window as I lumbered down the sidewalk. I usually try to remain conscious of my posture, pacing, and breathing throughout the entire session, but I guess by this point I was a little tired. My feet were shuffling along, and I didn't appear to have much of a bounce in my step. I hope that I'll be able to correct these issues come race day, but it is very tough to remain energetic when I've got so much weight hammering down on my joints with each passing step. I'm pleased with my progress so far, but am also disappointed. Disappointed that I'll likely be the same weight as I was last year at this time. 12 months ago I was in the exact same position, telling myself "never again". Determined that I'd be fit and healthy by this time next year. Well here I am, telling myself the exact same things I did the year before. Never again. I want to be proud of myself, but it's difficult when it feels as though I've been spinning my wheels for the past 52 weeks.

I truly hope that I can one day look back on all of this and be proud of my accomplishments, but that road is paved with hard work, determination and discipline.

Digg this

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Remember, though, that you're probably actually in better shape now than you were a year ago. Weight is different than health. You're healthier. You've probably gained a ton of heavy muscle too. Keep it up old friend!