This blog serves as an inspirational and entertaining progress report on my seemingly never-ending journey to 200 pounds.

Monday, October 1, 2007

Day 19, 20 & 21 - Puck Drop, Peer-Pressure, and Getting Tidy

Day 19 arrived with the excitement of Christmas morning. I loaded the equipment bag into the car and as I headed to work, was already looking forward to the end of the day. The first hockey game of the season was going to put my body through the wringer, and I was anxious to get it underway. It was a much more relaxed atmosphere than the organized games I'd played for the past years, playing to win, but also playing for fun. No goons, no bad attitudes, just a few guys enjoying the game. I came out of the gate for my first shift and played with the same intensity that I had from the last game many months ago. Unfortunately, that sort of expulsion of energy is best served when you've got a moment or two to rest after your 1min shift is up. With a lot less players than I was previously accustomed to, the shifts were longer, and the rests were shorter. MUCH shorter. The pace is still good, but my conditioning will have to improve immensely if I want to keep up with these guys. I left the rink exhausted but very happy. I knew I'd be sore for the weekend, but I didn't care. This was yet another reason to keep up the training at home, and to stay focused on fitness.

To my surprise, I was able to walk on the morning of Day 20. The ferocity with which I'd strained my muscles the day before had shown no ill effects, as of yet. Perhaps the mild workouts I had been putting myself through were providing some service after all. We had a housewarming to attend for the evening, but my wife was sadly forced to stay home with a migraine. Flying solo, I arrived early, unsure of what the night would bring, knowing that there would be many temptations to accompany the fun to be had. After the grand tour, I adjourned to the upstairs living room / dining room / kitchen area, to bear witness to the beautiful spread of food that awaited me. All of my weaknesses were fully represented. Spinach dip in a bread bowl, sliced cheeses accompanied by spicy meats, chips and dips, cake, cupcakes, and a wide assortment of beverages, all for public consumption. Thankfully there was balcony where I headed out to grab a breath and collect my thoughts to prepare for the evening to follow. All of my friends will eat, drink and be merry, and I will be restricted to being merry without the assistance of food or drink. I went to the kitchen, removing a disposable cup from the towering display that would no doubt dwindle late into the night, after quenching the thirst of those devouring all things sweet and salty. I, however, was looking for water. Pushing aside the bags of chips, bottles of pop, and flasks of liquor, I located the water jug. Filling my plastic carafe, I immediately knocked back it's contents and refilled before taking a seat. The cup was coloured, but clear, providing the illusion that I could be quaffing a mixed drink. But with the frequency that I was refilling, combined with the sureness of my footing and unfettered speaking ability, it was evident that wasn't consuming my customary gin beverages. As the bulk of the guests had arrived and settled in, I was offered a proper drink, to which I politely refused. Alarm bells were set off immediately, as I don't believe this individual had ever heard me turn down a drink. The topic of conversation turned to my fitness endeavours, and I soon found myself recounting many of my stories and revelations from over the past weeks. Normally a peer-pressure oriented group, they let me be. It didn't exempt me from some light-hearted teasing and needling through the night, but by the time the rowdy crowd had arrived, I was battling only my inner demons to resist that lone piece of cheese, those crumbs in the chip bowl, and that last morsel of bread saturated with the dip of it's departed brethren. Many laughs were had, old stories re-told, and new stories created, all with a lonely cup of water at my side. Not a close call to be had, nor a moment of weakness to speak of. I sat amongst a sea of deliciousness, and through my inner strength I emerged victorious. Though my muscles were starting to get sore...

The morning of Day 21 came a little earlier than I'd hoped, but that was all right, as I was heading out to help out a friend at a trade show. Funny thing was, he's the co-owner of the house we were warming the night prior. Looking a little worse for wear, I gladly relieved him of his post to allow him get some coffee and a little breather. We kicked back for most of the show, tending to the occasional customer, being entertained by some, and uninspired by others. It was a pleasant way to spend a Sunday morning and afternoon. I headed home, after the crowds had thinned out, to a relaxing afternoon and evening of tidying and cleaning. My wife headed out to a movie with a friend, which left me to continue my cleaning and take in a little video game action. By now, my muscles were aching a little, but if this was to be the worst of it, then I'd say I wasn't doing too badly. My sides would pang when I coughed or sneezed, but my legs were in tip top shape. It was a good feeling to know that the efforts I'd been putting forth were really giving me some merit. My wife arrived home in time for some TV and then off to bed. The scale really jumped around this weekend, I hope that it is kind to me to kick off Week 4, I think I've earned it.

Digg this

No comments: