This blog serves as an inspirational and entertaining progress report on my seemingly never-ending journey to 200 pounds.

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Day 40-43 - Heavy Dessert and a "Surprise"

Not having stepped on the scale for a few days, my anticipation was high for the now weekly weigh-in. I had worked hard, and deserved a lower number. In fact, I was running longer distances at a time, and feeling much more comfortable doing so. The excess bulk seemed a little less prominent with each passing step as I bounded down the rubber pathway. Less pulling, shaking, and jiggle seemed to put an extra spring in my step. I could feel the difference, and it was so invigorating, it actually kept me running for even longer than I'd planned. So after a solid week of eating right and working my body very hard, I allowed myself to step on that scale to put a number to all this effort. Then came the surprise. And I'm not referring to the surprise you feel when you put on your winter jacket and find a ratty $20 bill in the front pocket. More along the lines of a snap kick to the groin. Well, this felt more like a slap in the face. Either way, I gingerly placed my feet on the chilled metal surface of the digital scale, and glanced down to see that my weight had increased. More than the last week, and more than the week before. I've since rationalized the situation, but I wouldn't be much of a self-journalist if I simply glossed over the feelings of that moment. It hurt. It hurt badly. I worked really hard to ensure that I'd be able to permanently bid adieu to the 250's, but there I stood, dumbfounded and set back. My heart felt heavy, my shoulders slumped, and I shuffled out the door. You may be thinking, "Come on, it's only one pound", but it's a gain when there should have been a loss. I was dissecting every moment over the past week where I could have gone wrong, and I realized something. When I fastened my belt, I went yet a notch tighter. That's two since the start, and the next I will have to create myself. Proof, once again, that the scale alone isn't the almighty judge of health and fitness. It still doesn't explain how I managed to gain weight, but I won't become concerned unless this trend continues.

And now, an incident of mammoth proportions. By "incident" I mean "dessert", and by "mammoth proportions" I mean "mammoth portions". A friend of ours was in the city, so my wife and I decided to attend a mid-afternoon lunch with her at one of our favourite "soup and sandwich" eateries. I stuck to my guns and kept it simple, but the other two indulged in a dessert to take home. As we arrived home, I hoisted the small container of sugary delight, but couldn't believe the weight it carried. A simple dessert to be sure, bread pudding is indeed a sight to behold. As I carried the dense little cake into the house I couldn't help but wonder how much a "single serving" of bread pudding weighed. I do own a food scale, but this dish would have pinned it to the limit. I pulled out the heavy artillery and placed the deceptively compact treat on the "people" scale. 1.6 pounds of bread, cream, sugar, and eggs smashed into a 4" square. Jaw-dropping, unbelievable, amazing. I could list a smattering of adjectives here, but you get the picture. We all shared a hearty laugh as they sat down to conquer Mt. Pudding. As I watched them chip away, I didn't feel one pang to join in the fun. We sat, we talked, and sooner than later it was gone. Needless to say, they were feeling quite full after that dense, candied feast.

I'd pushed myself very hard for this past while, so I gave myself a well-earned day away from the treadmill. I still hit the mat, but I had to give my legs a much needed break. It has been said that a day of rest can be just as important as a hard workout, so I'm going to test that theory. But I'll be back pushing myself hard very soon, and though I understand that the scale is not the be-all-end-all of gauging my health and fitness levels, I still desire a lower number for my efforts. Next week...it's going to happen, I can feel a big jump coming. It has to.

Digg this

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY bread pudding. I'll probably never have it again, but it was delicious!
Sorry about your weight gain. Must be muscle growth.

Tanis

Anonymous said...

This is sooo muscle gain - I bet your glutes. No worries.