This blog serves as an inspirational and entertaining progress report on my seemingly never-ending journey to 200 pounds.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Day 48-50 - Halloween Is Evil and Inspiration From Out Of Nowhere

I'm under 250. It took what seemed like an eternity to arrive, and I'm not taking any time to dwell. A brief pat on the back is all I'm willing to give myself. As pleased as I was to see a number in the 240's, I knew that if I took too much time to enjoy the moment, I could easily slip into the 250's again in the blink of an eye. This is a permanent change, the 250's are a memory, and it's time to focus on the next benchmark.

With Halloween quickly approaching, I was hoping to simply avoid handing out candies to all the kids this year. I generally fall victim to one of the most common blunders when distributing the treats to the costumed youngsters, by giving them two or three and taking one for myself. By the end of the night, we could have counted how many visitors we had by simply tallying the empty wrappers. And that's not taking into account the days leading up to the 31st. We would buy a small box of bite sized treats for our own use, only to bring home another, and then another. The big day would arrive, and we would have go out to get another box for the evening, this one slightly larger in order to accommodate the flood of ankle-biters, only to be left with even more treats than the smaller box would have provided. This year, we've refrained from the frequent stockpiling and gorging, and the small amount we purchased looks as though it will last. I can't say that I've been completely innocent, but it's a definite improvement over past years. My goal for this week is to simply maintain my weight, by balancing these little treats with even more activity. It's almost sickening to think of how much sugar I would have ingested had my intake remained the same as before. The small amount that I've already allowed myself has already caused me to wake up with a "sugar hangover", and guaranteed a limit on my confectionery desires. It's interesting how something that had such a tight grip on me has become easier to ration and even resist. The last caller of the night will get a hearty helping, as there'll be no leftovers this year.

I spent this past weekend helping out at my friend's booth at a convention. I was very much out of my element, and it allowed me to remain a spectator, a fly on the wall. There were the occasional few that would come by and strike up a conversation that I could participate in, but for the most part I had very little knowledge to share. I used the opportunity to interact with people I may not ordinarily have had the chance to, and learn a few things. Not necessarily about what they do, but why they do it. I knew that I would be lost trying to converse, so I spent most of the weekend listening. While clusters of strange names and foreign terminology rocketed past my ears, I found myself getting caught up in, and excited by what they were saying, though I may have had no idea what they were talking about. The passion that these people exhibited for their craft was commendable, and it was contagious. I felt enthusiastic, because they were all so zealous in how they spoke, and it moved me to approach my own goals with more fervor than ever. And though they likely had no inkling of it, they taught me to approach my desires with a more open mind and light heart. I knew it was going to be an interesting weekend, but I wasn't expecting to come away from it feeling invigorated about my desires of fitness and good health. Sometimes the greatest motivation can come from the most unlikely of sources.

Having been on my feet for hours upon hours this past weekend, I didn't get much cardio accomplished, but I still felt good about how far I've progressed over these past 50 days. 12 pounds down in a 7 week span has me on a 1.5lb/week pace, which seems very respectable. The trend is heading in the right direction, and I generally feel good. My clothes are starting to feel a little loose, and it helps that the weather has allowed me to cover up with my large sweaters again. I know they're not always flattering, but they're comfortable. Now that yet another week is underway, I've got to keep my workout routine as consistent as ever, and have my mind focused on keeping my body honest. The 230's aren't as far away as I think.

Digg this

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Even though it seems to have taken longer than you thought it would, It's good to see you hit the sub 240's this week. Weight isn't the whole picture of healthy living but it certainly helps the mindset to see it improve over time. Go Trev!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Trevor! I thought you looked great when I saw you on Sunday. You are so much like me, in that you can not accept a compliment, without saying something negative about yourself. Next time someone tells you that you look great, just accept it graciously and say "Thanks!" and nothing else!
Love Mom

Wellington Thinking Classrooms said...

Awesome job Trev!!!! Keep going!! Makes me resolve to work harder now to catch up!!! I'm holding steady in the high 250's!! the 40's won't be long!! You're an inspiration!!