This blog serves as an inspirational and entertaining progress report on my seemingly never-ending journey to 200 pounds.

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Day 1 - Mom's Lasagna is NOT an option

Sunday night (day before Day 1), my wife and I went to my parents' house for supper. My mother had prepared one of my most favourite childhood meals, meat lasagna. A few of her friends also joined us for the meal, and had made one of my most favourite desserts, lemon pie. Homemade pie crust and all. Now, I should have known going in to this feast that my belt would expand a notch. And it didn't bother me, I didn't think about it for a moment. Before Day 1, I had lost all concept of eating to fuel my body, and had fully resorted to eating because I had to fill myself. So I ate until I was content, but it never lasts. My mother knows me far too well, because as we were leaving for the evening, she presents me with a parting gift. She had baked me my own lasagna to take with me. It was a beautiful sight to behold, a dream almost. My very own "Mom's lasagna" to eat at my leisure! My family always acts with the best intentions in mind, and this may have been the greatest indirect wake-up call I could have hoped for.

The morning of Day 1, I stepped on the scale. I covered the majority of that incident in the Introduction, but I should touch on WHY I stepped on the scale. Throughout my re-weight gain period, I've stepped on the scale at least once a day. I believe it was intended to inspire me to stop the madness, but all it seemed to do was discourage and frustrate me. The old cliché of "I eat because I'm sad, and I'm sad because I eat" surely applied to me and my situation. When I saw 240, I thought "No biggie.", and didn't skip a beat. 250 was very heartbreaking, I think I went right to 7-11 for some Slurpee goodness. But, for some reason, seeing 260 again was truly maddening. I don't know why it took so long to realize that I was approaching maximum density, or why it took so long for me to officially put a stop to it. I guess what matters is that I DID realize it. Ironically enough, there was a program on TLC last night about morbidly obese people, and one person's story in particular hit me the hardest. His name escapes me at the moment, but he weighed 800, and got down to 190 in 10 years. Monumental, right? Inspirational? Absolutely! However, over the next 7 years he gained back enough weight to put him near 1000. That's when it REALLY hit me. There's no letting up on this. I'm in a very similar situation (though on a smaller scale), and all of his comments truly made me think. That could very well have been me. Our thought process towards the function of food was eerily similar, and reinforced why this needs to happen immediately.

Anyway, let's get to Day 1, shall we? Not a big deal, really. I usually don't have a problem eating properly through the day. I bring fresh fruits and veggies, and the cafeteria has (somewhat) healthy options, though I think I may start cooking at home more often. I DID, however, realize where my main issues are situated. Firstly, I tend to snack late into the evening. Secondly, I am extremely inactive. At my old job of 9 years, it was a sit-down type of thing, with quite a bit of walking to other departments and standing and such. Not at all physically demanding, but I'd log a lot of steps in a day. At my current job, I'm seated for nearly the entire day. I thought it would be great to finally be able to sit for the majority of my day, but it's not all it's cracked up to be, even for someone as lazy as me.

So food intake for the day was fine until supper time. I got home around 4:30 and decided to eat supper early. That lasagna was in the fridge, so why not? Again, I must preface this next segment with some back story. I'm not much of a beef eater. Not vegetarian (though I'm pretty close), just kind of lost interest in beef during my first big weight loss push. A few weeks back, I had my friend Pat come over to help with plumbing issues. As payment, he only required burgers and beer (what a pal), and I joined in for a burger. Chicken and turkey burgers are very rarely accepted as a form of currency, so I served classic beef burgers. Shortly after the feast was over, I felt winded, tight in the chest. Perhaps just being out of shape was a factor, but this felt different. "Could be the beef", I thought to myself. After the lasagna meal at my parents' I felt similarly lousy, but not so bad. After the second lasagna day in a row, however, it wasn't so good. Heartburn, trouble breathing, general exhaustion. I didn't overeat or anything, just enough. I'm going to send the lasagna to my brother, he'll put it to good use. Myself, I'm back to chicken and turkey. We'll see how things improve after removing the beef from my intake list again. But, for this meal, I had two helpings of Mom's lasagna. Isn't this supposed to be Day 1 of the NEW me?

I've determined that I should do two light workouts a day, morning and night, to help balance my gross physical inactivity throughout the day. So my first workout was to be on the evening of Day 1. I made it 15 minutes and 1 mile into my walk/run before nearly vomiting. It doesn't take very long to fall horribly out of shape. Not that I was really IN shape recently. For the half-marathon (I had originally signed up for the full marathon, but cut it down just before the day), I was barely fit enough to participate. I had severely slacked on my training through the spring, and it showed. I've tended to perform most tasks in this manner, cramming as much as possible before the big test, staying up all night writing charts for a gig or recording session the following day, but this is not something you can "cram" for. I finished the run in 2:40 (about a 12min 15sec mile), which actually is quite a good time for someone of my size and (lack of) ability. I was unable to walk for 36-48 hours afterward, and got a horrible chest infection that lasted 10 days. I learned my lesson. Don't "cram" for physical challenges, it will not end well.

In the most recent case, however, I'll have to blame lasagna, not completely, but at least 51% at fault. 5 hours after my final lasagna banquet, there was still rampant heartburn and general unpleasantness arising from my insides. Completely skipping the additional calisthenics I had planned to accompany the "run", I flopped on the couch, defeated, if only for the moment. Up to bed I trudged, setting my alarm for 6:30am. Tomorrow is the day that this will truly begin, though my body tells me that it's already fully underway.

Digg this

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A bit of a side note, have you tried vinegar for heartburn? One TBSP usually does it for me and its much better for you than the ant-acids (cheaper too). I noticed as soon as I laxed off the good eating my heartburn came back too.

Anonymous said...

It's funny (not funny ha ha mind you) how eating poorly and feeling generally crappy can becomes the norm. It happens so gradually you don't even realize that this isn't how your supposed to feel anymore. Your energy goes down, your mental acuity can falter, you get moody and you often don't even immediately attach these things to your poor lifestyle choices.

I can remember a time when I was much healthier and I had ridiculous amounts of energy. I could run! I didn't care for running but I could do it. I worked physically hard at work and still had balls of energy after work. I would finish my shift then run home. I might sit around for a while but then would go do something. Even something as simple as hacky sack by myself in my parents basement. The point is I did something. Often I think I can still do some of the things I used to (jump your Mountain Bike anyone?) but quickly find it is not so. It's not that I'm too old to do any of these things anymore it's because I don't take care of myself mentally, physically, emotionally or spiritually.

So I salute your pledge to get back on the road to a fitter, happier, better you, Trevor. Perhaps I will find some inspiration in your efforts and get myself back on track.

Anonymous said...

I've found that a bit of baking soda (not powder) in a glass of water will get rid of heartburn the quickest. A few nice belches and it's all better. It doesn't taste all that great but the end result is worth it for me.

KMAN said...

Trevor,

I warned you about your Mom's place...as you know I ate there as much as you did for a couple of years. Number one, don't be scared of the scale. It is just a measuring stick. Weight yourself twice a day to understand your daily weight fluctuations. but do not get discouraged.

Talk to your old man about investments. The scale is like a stock investment. Some days it will be up and some days it will be down. But if you keep your focus, eat properly, and exercise once a day...It will start heading in the right direction.

Keep Going!!
KMAN

Anonymous said...

You guys are doing great, you are in the right frame of mind. You have the will power. I am not doing so good, I know I have to try so much harder, I know how you feel about the extra weight you thought you would never have in your entire life. Its certainly not because I had 2 kids, yes the body certainly changed and so did my eating and excercise habits. Yes the comfort feel sorry for myself food.