This blog serves as an inspirational and entertaining progress report on my seemingly never-ending journey to 200 pounds.

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Day 10 - Motivation From The Past, Present, And Future

Wow, Day 10. Into the double digits. Hopped on the scale to see a little more progress, looks like it wasn't such a bad idea to get some rest after all. I felt much better than on Day 9, completely refreshed and ready to roll, and actually looking forward to the evening's workout.

Motivation can come from many places. A person, a song, a story. Introducing Dr. Dean Schrader, my naturopath. He was instrumental in educating and pushing me during my last big weight loss push. When I came to him initially, I was a mess on all fronts. Addicted to sugars, chronically overeating, depressed. He took what seemed like endless amounts of time to just listen. Not only would he listen, he always seemed to have the answers I needed to hear. Even when I arrived for a session having lapsed in the eating or exercise department, he would always be positive about the progress, the big picture. He taught me about feeding my body, how to treat food as fuel, not as entertainment. How the food I was craving was designed to leave me wanting more. The science behind snack foods was quite alarming, and instead of just saying "Don't eat chips.", he explained why I shouldn't eat them, and what made me want to eat them. I found it much easier to control the addiction when I understood how it grabbed a hold of me. As my weight continued to drop, I arrived at a point where I started to see him less and less. I eventually stopped seeing him altogether, I thought I could handle it on my own. That's around the time I started to introduce those foods that he had educated and warned me about. Soon enough I had packed on the pounds again. You may ask yourself, "Why didn't you just go back and talk to him?". Very good question, but the answer is quite ludicrous. I was embarrassed. Ashamed. I didn't want him to see me like this again. It was even tougher to accept this time over the last, because I was so much more knowledgeable, but still didn't have the strength to go it alone. I should really give him a call soon.

And before that, there was another weight loss movement, completely centered around physical activity. My Mom, brother, and myself hired a personal trainer to try and get us whipped into shape. Quite the motivator, Brian Herosian took on the responsibility of whipping us into shape. When I visited him for the first time, I tipped his scale at 300. He was so great at getting me fired up to be active. The last thing I wanted to do was dissappoint him, so I'd always arrive completely pumped and leave utterly wiped. He welcomed us as a part of his family, utterly engrossed in our well-being, he wanted nothing more than to have us succeed. But again, I slowly started to decline my attendance, thinking I would be able to continue on my own. That was the intent, anyway. The weight crept back on, I stopped being active, and WHAM! Back to the old me. I should have gone back to see him, but again was completely mortified by my appearance. Pretzel logic, isn't it?

Taking all the teachings from these life experiences and now applying them to everyday life has shown that I have to be my biggest motivator. I've got a different attitude towards losing weight and being healthy this time around. It just feels better, different, more official. The weather on Day 10 was simply stunning, so my wife and I went for a 90min bike ride to the Fort Whyte Centre, which is a free-roaming wildlife conservatory, spread over 400 acres. Just beautiful at this time of year. After that, we came home to rest and relax for the evening, taking in a flick with a friend, but I still had an urge to hit the treadmill. Climbed that hill again, and finished with some 1min sprints (40min/2.0miles, 200/30/30). All in all a fantastic day, filled with many reminders as to why I continue to do this. An evening enjoying the great outdoors with my lovely wife, fond memories of inspirational mentors that became my friends, rest, relaxation, and activity. Life sure is grand, and becoming moreso by the day.

Digg this

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Hi Trevor: Good on you! It is a daily struggle but with time you will get use to it and it WILL become you and your life. To date I have lost 70 pounds and have now kept it off for over a year. It did take me 2 years though to loose it. They say the slower the better. For me loosing the weight was almost easier then maintaining. I attend Weight Watchers and still go almost each week, even though I'm at goal. It's the only way I can stay on top of things. I run every morning, (barely miss a day), doing anywhere from 4 - 8 miles and watch everything I eat, and this is just to maintain. At least 5 times a week I also add to that a evening walk. So please, please make activity part of your life, the rest of your life, not just while you are trying to loose weight.
As far as food goes, you should be able to eat anything and everything that you would like to eat,(not every day though) it just takes planning and portion control.
I have a friend that attends Weight Watchers with me and he has lost 165 pounds. He started out at around the 370 mark. (plus he is only my height). So please know it can be done, and it is a huge life style change, but for the best.
I feel healthier, younger and have more energy then I did 10 years ago!
Keep up the good work, and don't be afraid to reach out for help. I'm here for you along with all of your friends.
I'll keep watching your progress!