This blog serves as an inspirational and entertaining progress report on my seemingly never-ending journey to 200 pounds.

Monday, September 10, 2007

An Introduction

260. Just a number, yes. But when I stared down at the scale this morning, that's the number that stared back at me. I hadn't seen that number in about 18 months, and the last time I did, I had felt a sense of accomplishment, of pride. Today this number signifies terror, sadness, and disappointment.

Let's preface this with a story...
Not too long ago, the number displayed on that little LCD window was 312. One morning, not unlike this morning, I decided I'd had enough. Enough shopping around from store to store trying to find pants to fit me. Enough wearing baggy jerseys and muumuu-esque shirts to attempt to cover and hide my girth. "No more.", I said. Something in my brain just fired up, telling me it was time to change. So I did. I immediately changed the way I approached food and became a more active person. The first few weeks were absolutely horrendous, the cravings and headaches, my body yearned for junk food and sugar. My loving wife stood by helpless as I deteriorated into a sobbing infant that wanted nothing more than a taste of Dr.Pepper Slurpee. But I stuck to my guns, and with great discipline and will power, overcame my addiction, or so I thought. Life was good. Better than it had ever been. The years of self-inflicted abuse and sloth-like inactivity were becoming a distant memory, melting off of me like a delicious ice-cream cone in the hot summer sun. I was walking, then jogging, then even running. I had laced up the skates and started playing hockey again. In matter of 8 months I had dropped a staggering 87 pounds and felt as though I could climb the Matterhorn. Then came the pain.

Indescribable, blinding pain. Right side, under my ribs. Never before had I felt a pain so intense, so acute, so fierce. Let's back up a few minutes. After having lost all that weight, I felt I was ready to sample a food I had deprived my body of for so long. I deserved it. A reward. Cheese. I had been restricting myself to veggies, fruits, and lean proteins for so long, a simple 100g piece of New Bothwell Cheddar Cheese was the equivalent of a steak dinner at that moment. Before the taste of that Manitoba medium-aged had even begun to wane from my palette, the pain struck. Welling up inside me like a firey torrent from the depths of Hell, it knocked me to my knees, and then to the floor. For what felt like an eternity, it lasted for 60 mins. Each second was excruciating. Without drawing out this dramatic tale, I'll cut right to the chase. It was my gall bladder.

Because I had been depriving myself of all fats (not a good idea), my gall bladder was as inactive and sloth-like as I was not too long before. This led to the bile that was being stored to crystallize and form gall stones. This was fine and dandy until the cheese I treated myself to kicked the gall bladder into action, out of it's previously comatose state. Imagine, if you will, passing thousands of miniscule glass shards through a highly sensitive duct no larger than the eye of a needle. The pain of kidney stones actually pale in comparison because the ducts they pass through are larger, and those are still akin to pissing out porcupine quills. I don't remember how many attacks I had over the course of the next two weeks, but to summarize, I took a natural route to recovery instead of having the gall bladder removed. My wife had hers removed and she didn't recommend it too highly. So rather than spend days in a hospital bed, I drank olive oil and lemon juice and spent days on the toilet.

Skipping ahead to being fully recovered, I began treating myself to the foods that I had deprived myself of more often. Now that the pains had subsided, I felt the need to taste these foods again. And again and again. Heck, I was 225 and almost at my goal weight, as if I didn't deserve it! When I had to buy a new pair of pants because I'd gained 10 pounds, it was no big deal. I'll just cut back on the treats. My shirts aren't fitting anymore, must be shrinking in the wash. Nope. You're getting fat again, champ. I signed up (in January) to run a half marathon in June to kick start my butt back into shape. I still managed to run the race and finish while weighing around 240. That was three months ago.

Back when I had my initial push to start losing the weight, I realized how difficult this truly is. Going into the lunchroom at work became the most horrible experience, and was one that was repeated at least 3 times a day, everyday. As I go to retrieve my fruit and veggies from the fridge, someone's heating up their snack or lunch. Pizza, fries, fried chicken, pasta. No big deal, right? Imagine being addicted to something much more maligned and socially unacceptable; cigarettes, alcohol, heroin, cocaine. Now imagine again, that you had to pass through a room a minimum of three times a day, filled with people enjoying that which you cannot have. Even going so far as OFFERING you a smoke, drink, or hit. That's what it's like being a food addict. However, most other addictions have the distinct advantage of not being essential to existence, and can be avoided if need be. You can go through a lifetime having never smoked, drank, snorted, or shot up. But you have to eat. Back to the top of the page we go.

260. Just a number, yes. But when I stared down at the scale this morning, that's the number that stared back at me. Today this number signifies strength, determination, and will power. It's also the last time I'll ever see that number again.

Digg this

4 comments:

SeanJ said...

Excellent idea, Teedub. Stick to the journal/blog and it will keep you motivated. Mention it to a few good friends who can track your progress by reading it and that will be even more of a motivational tool.

As for the writing, very good. Very personal. I like that. That is the one thing I can't seem to do in my writing. I always feel dumb talking about personal stuff because most of it is boring and I'm just not comfortable doing it. I find others to be much more interesting. And I am glad for that. The last thing I want to do is become a yappy reality-TV personality who can't shut up about themselves. But I do need to be more personal in my writing.

As for losing weight, it's really a 2-person thing when you're in a marriage. Your wife needs to be your support system, buying good, healthy food. Cooking, or learning to cook tasty healthy meals -- the kind that make you feel like you're not missing out on other food. And most importantly, cutting down those portion sizes. You can still have pretty much anything (as long as its not junk food) as long as you cut down on the portion sizes. Plus it helps if she needs to lose weight too because the support can go both ways.

And if you are a junk food junkie, don't cut yourself out totally. Have one once a week or something... use it as a motivational tool. Every 10 pounds you lose, have 1 snickers bar or an ice cream. Don't cheat yourself of what you like. It's impossible to go cold turkey and probably unhealthy too.

Plus it helps if she needs to lose weight too because the support can go both ways.

When I was ready to start the weight loss program, it was something I had been mulling over for years. It was always, "it'll happen one day" until, much like you, I decided, this was as good a time as ny. We had just gotten back from Greece, ate all we could there, and now it was time to get serious about our health. It was hard breaking it to my wife. In a typical womanly fashion, she thought this was somehow directed towards her. I basically approached it as, "we need to be more healthy... BOTH of us." and it was hard for a while, but we both got into it and did it hard core for about 6 mos. I lost 35 pounds and the wife lost about 15. Then we slacked off and we started gaining weight a bit but we've been able to get back at it and stop the bleeding. We're going to Italy next month and we want to feel good before we go so we're not out of breath as we're trekking all over Rome or Florence.

As for gall stones. Ouch. I had kidney stones in the middle of my weight loss craze and it nearly side-tracked it. I was bed-ridden for 3 days and was unable to work out for a week. As for the pain, mind-numbing. I never thought pain could make you throw-up until it happened to me.

So keep at it Tee... you can do it. Just use common sense and make sure your wife is on board.

KMAN said...

260 is not a very big number, And I know you can do it. I once read that for a man exercise is 80% of the battle and eating is the other 20%.
Don't get hung up on not eating or you will fail. Limit yourself to one snack a day, and make sure you workout every day!!
Running is by far the best way to get it done. As long as your knees can handle it, 30min a day can easily burn 500 or 600 calories.
Also, no fad diets!!! Eat all the foods from the food groups everyday but just limit your intake.
Also don't get frustrated when you hit level off points. When I moved to BC I decided to lose 30lbs. At least three times I stopped losing weight, not because I fell off the plan, but because the body adjusts and all you need to do is adjust your routine slightly.
I ate alot of dinners at you parents place in my life....so I know the challenge!!!

Good Luck.....And Go Bears!!!

Michelle said...

Great blog Trev! You know we'll all support you now that we have Belissimo's out of our system. I was hoping that I could keep up with my running so I could do the marathon next year but it's so hard. How did you do it? I admit I had delusions of running the marathon along side you, albeit very brief.
I know you can do this Trev! I'll be your cheerleader if you'll be mine!!

Anonymous said...

Excellent idea, I've always had problems with keeping motivated. I am going through the "oh, its just a small treat" fase right now as we speak. It started three weeks ago on Holidays and I can't get my ass back in gear. I stated four months ago with cutting out all sugar, dairy, flour and yeast. I gotta tell ya, it sucked the first two weeks, then I started feeling amazing! As soon as the dairy and the flour stopped my alergies got a whole lot better. Then I slowly introduced honey as a sweetener and whole grain flours... then I went to the lake and out of my routine. Well, I've been afraid to step on the scale ( I've never been much for weighing myself everyday, I'm more of a once a week kinda girl) I know what I have to do, but I keep telling myself life is too busy right now (which I know is lame, lame, lame). That's the other thing, I can never get on the healthy diet AND excercise at the same time, it always seems to be a trade off. Anyway, I'm glad you are doing this as it just may be the thing to get me back on track. I'm inspired!