This blog serves as an inspirational and entertaining progress report on my seemingly never-ending journey to 200 pounds.

Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Day 16 - Weighing Less Just Comes With The Territory

I had my eyes squarely set on the prize at the end of the journey, and could have very well been on my way to derailment and disappointment once again. "Just break it down to the basics. There's no need to stress about this, it'll only make it more difficult than it has to be. Take a breath and think about it.", I told myself, this time with confidence and conviction. I gained a little today? Likely a little water retention from not working out the night before, a normal fluctuation. I'm going to rely less on the scale and more on how I feel. The scale provides valuable information about how my body works and adapts, but a slight increase or decrease in weight will not send me into a tizzy. I've constructed a statement that not only summarizes my plan, but will inspire me to continue beyond my "goal weight".

My only goals are fitness and good health.
Weighing less just comes with the territory.


I feel completely rejuvenated with this new outlook. I had previously mentioned that, early during my initial push from 312, I just woke up one day feeling the need for change. This day felt eerily similar in that my focus is now true and unforced. It's as if a switch has been flipped and it all has become clear. Instead of forcing myself to abstain from the foods I crave, they simply are not as interesting as they once had been. I can feel the icy grip of my food addiction loosening from around my neck. Though it's grasp may never fully leave, I've been given a small amount of breath with which to organize my once obstructed thoughts. Now that mind and body have attained unity, there is no limit to what I could accomplish, and it has put a spring in my step.

My wife and I ambitiously set out for a bike ride in the early evening. It was chilly, but clear, and we didn't want to miss out on what could be one of the final pleasant days for the coming months. After the ride, I settled in for some rehearsal time as the recording session is fast approaching. Much more focused than the previous evening, I'm feeling fully prepared. I closed out the day with a vigorous workout (40:00/2.0miles/15° incline, 200/30/30), and felt fantastic afterwards. Exhausted, but triumphant. I headed up to bed feeling very pleased, and somewhat relieved. I had been trying far too hard to just lose the weight and it was mentally stressing me out. The changes have been made, and the weight will take care of itself. I will look back on Day 16 with great fondness. Some people wait a lifetime for a revelation of this magnitude. It was the day when I truly understood that being healthy and fit has no finish line, it's a permanent part of my life.

Digg this

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well said Trevor! Keep up the great work!

You are inspiring me to shed some of the pounds gained over the summer holidays and get back into my regular exercise routine.

I'm reading everyday...

Jane.

Anonymous said...

What is the 200/30/30 you keep referring to?

trev said...

It's in reference to an earlier post where I determined my mat exercises would consist of:

200 ab crunches
30 push-ups
30 tricep dips

Sorry for the confusion!